News From Beacon Hill - March 2012
Dear Friends of Beacon Hill,
We are gearing up for the spring season, a time when many insureds are starting new projects. Take a look at your new business opportunities and upcoming renewals and let us know how we can help! Click HERE for a list of products we offer.
Thank you for reading our newsletter and please don’t hesitate to email us if you’d like to receive marketing information or applications.
Claim Senarios for General Contractors
Here are some examples of claims we've come across affecting general contractors -- feel free to use these when discussing potential exposures with your clients. You can get a CPL indication within 24 hours using our PartnerOne OnTarget Program.
- A general building contractor installed a new roof at a 250,000 square foot office building and shopping center. The roofing material decomposed and caused a chemical reaction, emitting fumes into an office building. The contractor faced a $400,000 property damage and loss of use claim.
- A general contractor was responsible for overseeing a sewer rehabilitation project. During excavation of a trench, the bucket of a backhoe hit a natural gas line. This forced evacuation of the immediate area, including a small strip mall. Store owners filed loss of business claims against the contractor, exceeding $75,000. Read more claim scenarios.
Feeling the Effects of Air Pollution
By Dana Lillard - Administrative Assistant, Underwriting Division
Air is something we breathe without thinking. We do it twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week for the span of our lives. Along with the air we breathe, we also take in many hazardous chemicals. These chemicals range from Carbon Monoxide and asbestos to Sulfur Oxides. The amount of polluting chemicals depends on where you live and spend your time; some areas such as large cities have higher densities of certain chemicals (chemicals in smog) while other areas that are less populated have high densities of other chemicals (methane pollution from farm animals). Monitoring typically occurs on a regular basis and air quality warnings are issued based on these readings. Read the complete article
“Rolling” Into Spring at Beacon Hill!
Here at the Beacon Hill Charlottesville office, some of our folks have made an effort to create a healthier work environment this year (aside from the donuts in the kitchen, of course). How, you may ask? By using exercise balls instead of chairs. A handful of our team members have pushed aside their chairs and used these balls to promote stronger back muscles and better balance. “Using my exercise ball has been a good way to stay active while sitting at my desk!” says Beth Brooks.
Is your office doing something to live healthier this year? Tell us!
Above: Becca Cole, hard at work on her exercise ball.
- $9M Metal collector/recycler
Coverage purchased: General Liability/Contractors Pollution Liability/Site Pollution Liability/Auto with Pollution and a $5M Excess
Policy limit: $1M primary and $5M Excess
Premium = $60,000
- $15M Fire & Water Restoration Contractor (Paul Davis Franchisee)
Coverage purchased: Contractors Pollution Liability and Professional Liability
Policy limit: $3M/$3M
Premium = $18,709
- $3M Asbestos abatement/demo contractor
Coverage purchased: General Liability/Contractors Pollution Liability/Professional/Excess ($1M)
Premium = $14,900
- $14M Petroleum Products Broker
Coverage purchased: General Liability and Products Pollution Liability
Policy limit: $1M/$1M
Premium = $44,923
- $500k Landscaping service
Coverage purchased: Contractors Pollution Liability with Transportation Pollution Liability
Policy limit: $1M
Premium = $2,500
- $800k Manufacturer/metal fabricator of pharmaceutical equipment.
Coverage purchased: General Liability/Products Pollution Liability/Excess ($1M)
Premium = $12,500
- $3.6M Telecommunications contractor
Coverage purchased: Contractors Pollution Liability
Policy limit: $1M/$1M
Premium = $3,227
- $2M Asbestos/lead/mold/interior demolition contractor
Coverage purchased: General Liability/Contractors Pollution Liability/Excess
Policy limit: $1M/$2M Primary, $3M Excess
Premium = $23,847
- $700k Pond and landfill liner installation
Coverage purchased: General Liability/Contractors Pollution Liability
Policy limit: $1M/$2M
Premium = $16,201
- $5M Industrial hygienist/environmental compliance consultant
Coverage purchased: Professional/Contractors Pollution Liability
Policy limit: $5M
Premium = $22,000